44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books »
A Blood Seduction - Pamela Palmer Quinn is a research tech at NIH but she has a strange problem she sees shimmers, and while she has no idea what they are she knows it is not normal. DC has had an abnormally high number of disappearances recently and when her brother Zach’s best friend goes missing the two of them find themselves in a shadow universe. The shadow universe is basically vampires gone wild and hostile to humans in every way. Humans are vampire food, slaves and sources of entertainment.

Let me begin by saying if a friend had not recommended this book I would not have finished it. The book is very dark and not dark like ooo so creepy but dark like how messed up can this place get. I give the author credit though the writing was very good and while it took a while for me to stop being so offended the plot is at least original.
The hero in out tale, if you can call him that is Arturo. He is a vampire that feeds on both fear and blood. It seems he is totally amazing because he admits he is untrust worthy, he uses seduction to meet his needs and does not intentionally hurt his slaves. WOW what a keeper but wait it gets worse, this guy seduces our heroine over and over and yet he gets angry when he hands her over to his ‘boss’ for torture treatment. Yeah that happened a few times but hey one must be loyal to their master. Oh and this is really rich Quinn cannot call him by his name, Arturo wants her to call him master but they settle on vampire. Boy if that is not love I do not know what is.

Then we have our lovely heroine Quinn. On the plus side she is very different from most UF/PNR heroines which is nice. The biggest issue I had with her was her inability to plan…you know vampires are deadly and fast you escape for a few days and you go back with power bars and a steak really no gun, no knife, no holy water hell no plan. The second thing is she was irrationally focused on saving Zach – saving her brother is great but a plan would have been nice. Instead we find Quinn bumbling around the most of the book and continuously getting recaptured. Moving on it was highly disappointing how much she wanted to believe in Arturo. Initially we could blame it on Stockholm syndrome but like the fifth time he betrayed her it was like dammit woman wake up and smell the coffee. When she cries on his shoulder and melts with his kisses I never once thought oh this is endearing. I thought wake up looser before you get the beat down again!

Last we have Zach who is really underdeveloped as a character and I am not really sure why we saw his POV but whatever. Outside of my character issues at times this book just got a little boring it felt like it the story had no direction. After about page one hundred it begins to get a little more cohesive but the end was really unsatifying. To sum this up the book barely works for me. I have no issue with dark UF as long as the leading characters are strong, instead I have a traitor and a wanna be super hero so in my view just not a real good mix.
2 ½ stars