44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
The End of the Affair - Graham Greene,  Colin Firth This is an odd little book about a man's who heart was broken.
Bendrix is a novelist and one night out at a party he encounters a married woman, Sarah. Bendrix claims to write a novel about Sarah's husband and shortly after an affair ensues. These two unhappy creatures seem to find a bit of peace with each other. But as affairs always do they end and this one leaves Bendrix much more bitter than he was before.

The affair is actually the shortest part of the book most of it is about Bendrix and his inability to let go or fall out of love. The book is well written and I really appreciated listening to it on audio. But there was so much bitterness and hate. Bendrix seemed to need to lash out at everyone and blame everyone including God. He was so self centered it was hard for me to understand what Sarah saw. Sarah is not perfect either I really did not understand why she promises God (whom she doesn't really believe in) if Bendrix lives then she will leave him.

The book is just rather hokey. There was some enjoyable parts but if I had not listened to this on audio I would have never finished it.