44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books »
Seven Kinds of Hell - Dana Cameron Zoe and her mom has been on the run all of her life, she has never had one name or really been able to develop friendships. But this time when Zoe runs it will be without her mom as she has died due to cancer and in her final breath she makes Zoe promise to run and make a life for herself but to stay hidden from her father’s family. Before Zoe can make a break for it she comes face to face with her father’s family the Fangborn (oracles, werewolves and vampires).

I have to admit I liked Zoe she had a lot of spunk and it was easy to find yourself cheering for her. The other characters fell a little flat for me they did not pull me into the story as I would have liked. For example I did not understand why Will (Zoe’s ex) shows back up after such a long absence and he does not really add to the story.

At any rate the world was probably the most interesting. I liked all of the artifacts, mythology and super natural politics…kind of feels a bit like Indiana Jones with the mystery and non stop action. Honestly this may have been the best part of the book!

The challenge I had with this book is while things are interesting something is missing so I never feel quite drawn in. At first I thought it was because I was listening to the book and not reading it that perhaps I forgot stuff, then one afternoon I listened to a few hours straight through and realized no it is the book. Personally I think there are two reasons that made this book less than stellar the first is there are just too many characters to keep up with and two sometimes the story seemed very choppy. I did like the narrator and I thought she added a little something to the story but not enough to keep me wanting to listen instead it was what I listened to when I was not in the mood for the news on the way to and from work.

So while the series is off to a choppy start I am not unwilling to check out the next one. Perhaps this is just first book syndrome.
2 ½ stars.