44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Trial by Desire - Courtney Milan Lady Kate and Ned are found in a compromising position and are required to marry in order to save face. However three months into the marriage Ned decides he must go on a mission to China which leaves his new wife in a scandalous position. Three years pass and both Kate and Ned are quite aware of how little they know of one another. Thus the story begins on how they find their way to happiness.

I really liked Kate she had quite a bit of spunk as well as practicality. Ned was also an interesting character but it took almost two thirds of the book before you understand what is going on with him. I thought it was also well done how the author incorporated social problems such as spousal abuse and episodes of depression

I picked this book up in the library and did not realize it was book two in the series, book one is [b:Proof by Seduction|6571963|Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)|Courtney Milan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348188380s/6571963.jpg|6765046]. I wonder if I would have understood Ned better if I had read that one first. At any rate it was odd because I never quite got a feel for Ned, he kept calling this thing a beast but I was not sure what the beast was. This kind of took away from the romance part and his habits just seemed weird. Having said that it does come together toward the end but by that time it was a bit to late. The other odd thing is that I would have liked to see Kate with her friends or family it feels like you only see this very narrow part of her character which lessens the impact of her strategic skills in hiding women.

3 1/2 stars