44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Last Kiss Goodnight - Gena Showalter Solomon Judah (Solo)works with a black ops team to keep both humans and otherworlders safe. Before they can start a mission into looking for a missing government agent Solo is taken captive. Not captive like a POW but like a circus freak where people can come and toy with him. In the this terrible place Solo meets Vika. Vika is the circus owners daughter but she to is treated as a possession and when she does not make her father happy she is beaten. Her father has beaten her so poorly in the past that she is now deaf. Vika is also treated poorly by the other hostages and people in the circus no matter how much she tries to show kindess. In this terrible place Solo and Vika find something unexpected, kinship and love.

This sounds like an awesome story right! Well it wasn't the premise was original and exciting but the execution was complete crap. Where to begin my issues? Lets start with the setting honestly the book is 400+ pages and I think 350 of them take place in a cage. If that sounds boring it is because it is. If you wanted me to buy into a slow sweet romance I would need more than he is big and ugly but I like him or she is small and sweet and I like her. Next pet peeve was the good and evil on the shoulder. Yep like in cartoons, really good and evil and if you feed into one it gets bigger at the expense of the other.

This brings me around to a bigger issue the use of Biblical verse before each chapter. Ok so I appreciate any author who is expanding especially when one find their faith. I am not even going to say this book felt preachy because that would insinuate I cared about this book in some fashion and trust me it did not elicit any emotional response. Anyway in the LOTU series Ms. Showalter was quite clever in building the case of good and evil. This was morality it was and is the fight to save your soul and to save those who fight with you. This story tries to be bigger than it is with a ton of religious clues. I mean Solo really he is on a solo journey or are we referring to the Biblical Solomon who had to deal with opposition. Then we get the name Judah...I guess founder of a new path. Whatever ...this just did not work for me. The Bible verse was just to much I believe in reading to Bible in context not just a one liner. There are solid moral Christian stories out there like Narnia but this was ugg.

Moving on I gave it the extra star because it was a good premise and I have like her previous work. This book has almost no action and no romance. I am fine with not having sex but at least give me passion and desire. Heck I would settle for a reason to be friends. The book was really disappointing and this is one series I will not continue.

Really 1 1/2 stars.