44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness I am so glad I listened to this book on audio. Jennifer Ikeda is amazing and to be completely honest if it had not been for her wonderful voice I may have let this one go.

Shadow of Night takes a long time to get into the story. While it opens with the time travel. We tend to forget what we have gone back for and why this period was important. I guess about a third of the way in we start to see the romance between Diana and Matthew begin and their barriers and fears begin to fall. Another enjoyable part of the book are the fathers, I wish we could have seen more of them.

The book is a challenge, the who's who from Elizabethan times was a bit overwhelming at times and the book seems to move so slowly with a lot of details that are not really about the plot. Admittedly I suffered quite a bit of historical confusion because she choose some interesting things to do with characters like wasn't Mary Sidney like a great literary figure who possibly acted as a ghost writer for William Shakespeare? So why do we see her as an alchemist?? Outside of my historical confusion was the burning question of why Matthew is in the middle of everything?? Why does the historian feel so out of place in a period she studied ad nauseam? Why did they feel so comfortable making such drastic changes in the past knowing it would change the future?? At times these perplexing issues were just annoying.

Overall I give this book 3 1/2 stars.