44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier, Anna Massey One of my favorite things is a truly well written story and I have to say that Rebecca is definitely one of those. This is a story where really not a lot happens but yet everything happens. This story is a mystery, it begins with a young girl who is a companion to an older lady. One day the young girl comes across a wealthy older widow, Maxim de Winter and they seem well suited to each other. They are quickly married and in a matter of weeks they return to his home, a grand English estate called Manderley. Immediately the young woman is overwhelmed by the ghost of his first wife, Rebecca. She begins to feel that she is inferior and isolated until one day when a secret is revealed that is not fully resolved until the very last page.

I love how the author, du Maurier never names the main character who is telling us the story and I also like how these very subtle clues become relevant as we race toward the end. The story both sad and depressing but there is also this sense of hope. I also loved the step back into time, equal to that I also loved being reminded of how confusing it can be to be so young. This book was actually an audiobook and it was narrated by Anna Massey. She did a fantastic job it was just a flawless performance!