44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books »
A Perfect Blood - Kim Harrison Rachel is back at home and a few months have passed since she defeated Ku Sox, and Rachel is trying to find balance as a demon. She has a body guard and wears a bracelet that prevents her from touching the ley lines leaving her only with earth magic. As a demon the IS thinks that Rachel may be behind some individual murders. Rachel calls their bluff and gets the FIB involved, knowing that unless she figures out who is behind it then she will be blamed.

The first third of the book moved really slowly for me and I was almost ready to give up. Thank goodness the second half really picked up. Rachel is growing but in some ways it is painfully slow especially as she continues to morn what is really not lost. Rachel is always thinking what may happen someday but they way she lives someday may never happen. Anyway we also see Rachel go through the changes about men and her normal ogling, I am glad we are settled with Peirce and Marshal now. The new guy Wade is difficult to tell. She is also finding balance with Trent and as fan of Trent this is very pleasing to me. We also got to see a bit of Al which I also enjoy.

Having said all of that something was missing for me in the book. I think it is all about my own personal expectations. I left Pale Demon thinking Rachel would finally embrace and accept herself but she hasn’t she continues to hide. Furthermore even without her powers she used to be able to kick butt but this book she seems to be floundering all the time. I also wanted her to save herself and yes I love Trent and it was great to see him save her on her terms I just wanted her to do it by herself just once. The other issue I had was with Quinn WTH?? I mean what happened to Quinn and Ceri, I mean they have a kid together but all we see is Trent. I liked Quinn and having him kicked to the side I just do not understand.

Moving on the first thirteen chapters felt like total filler but after that the book takes off and like the last 150-200 pages totally five stars. I still enjoyed the book and I read it rather quickly but I think I was hoping for more especially as we get down to the last few books in the series.
3 ½ stars