44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books »
Alpha Instinct - Katie Reus Ana’s has been barely holding her pack together, her pack was attacked a few years before and all of the males and the pregnant females died due to poisoning. She has also been under pressure to unite with another group of shifters, but their alpha is crazy and wants to hurt her. One day her childhood love, Connor comes back to lead her pack and become her bondmate, Ana is hesitant because he left her years ago without explanation and she is afraid he will hurt her again meanwhile he is afraid she is lost to him forever.

There is a lot going on in this book, we have two people who are challenged in being open with each other, shifters are being murdered, there are minor love stories, drug dealing and dreamwalkers. While it kept the story line moving it was also a little to much and it did not always make as much sense as it could have. I liked Conner and Ana and they felt like honest characters. Ana is scared so she is torn between allowing herself to love him and well letting herself fall in love. This conflict of course is quite annoying at times because her emotions are all over the place, yet it is realistic if the guy you love walked out the door and never said good-bye but now he is back demanding you love him. Connor meanwhile is an alpha who has spent his life trying to prove he is good enough, so we have a man who is insanely jealous, bossy, over protective and having a hard time expressing himself. This too makes you roll your eyes because I was thinking oh just man up already why is this an issue, but again this is the human element where you build something up in your mind that the barrier is very hard to break down. While I thought the relationship between Ana and Connor was passionate it was not romantic, while I kept reading how they fit each other, outside of horizontal sports I did not see it.

The mystery and suspense was good, I will admit that I did not figure out who was doing what so that was good. The ending also leaves room for the next book. But even though it was interesting as I started this review saying I think it was to much, that still has not changed. I am assuming the reason is these story lines will be carried out over multiple books; even though I understand it would have been preferable to understand more about the local competition, to learn more about where Liam and Connor had been in the past fifty years or just life in the pack.

Despite its flaws the book is well written and engaging.