44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Wages of Sin  - Jenna Maclaine Dulcie is the daughter of a viscount and a witch. One night her family leaves for a party and they never return. While Dulcie (Cin) is in morning an old family friend has come to call on her, in part because he loves her but mostly because she has powers his master can use. In a fight to save herself Cin calls a group called the Righteous, vampires who protect people from other vampires who would harm them. Michael is part of the Righteous and it is almost lost at first sight between he and Cin, but they are not of the same race (human vs vampire) nor the same class, so how is love possible.

While this reads like PNR it really is not. This is more like historical paranormal fiction. The writing is good but with the exception of a few steamy scenes I really did not feel the love or passion between Michael and Cin, I am just assuming it was love at first sight, I mean it feels kind of like they know nothing about each other let alone love the other.

Outside of the love story I thought it was a decent story. I like watching Cin make choices and accept responsibility for those choices. Clearly she is struggling against the loss of her family, her mother in particular, as well as trying to figure out how to survive and to understand who she is. Cin really is very innocent but she is not stupid. I also like Michael and found him to be quite the gallant one.
The downside to the book is that it gets a little wordy and it is off to a rocky start. I also found the ending to be very convenient, the evil one really did not seem so evil and that was a bit of a letdown. I will read the next one to see what Cin does next.

3 1/2 stars