44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books »
Lord of the Vampires - Gena Showalter Lord of the Vampires is the first book in the Royal House of Shadows series. The series consists of 4 books written by 4 different PNR/UF authors. The first is Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter, the second is Lord of Rage by Jill Monroe, third is Lord of the Wolfyn by Jessica Andersen and the final story is Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh. The overarching storyline is The Blood Sorcerer of Elden wanted more power and to get it he attempts to murder the Elden's Royal Family. However his plans are thwarted by the King (a vampire) and his wife, the Queen (a witch) each cast their own spells. The King gives his children with a sense of vengeance and the Queen sends them out of harm’s way with a ticking timepiece. As you may have already guessed there are 4 children and each one gets their own book, written by a different author.

The first one is the story about Nicolai, a vampire who has a reputation as “The Dark Seducer” however he is soon stripped of his memory and held as a sex slave in a kingdom called Delfinia. Somehow he manages to reach through time and space to a woman named Jane. Jane has been dreaming about a tortured man and having a series of sexual fantasies, she thinks perhaps she is going crazy. Then one day a book arrives and Jane is transported to Delfinia.

This is Gena Showalters take on Alice in Wonderland where Jane wakes up and goes down the hole, except instead of the Mad Hatter we have the Crown Prince. The story angle was good and it was an interesting take. I will also say it is a very steamy story and that was most unexpected, it was a pleasant surprise but still unexpected.

The book fell down for me in the beginning, the plot was easy enough for me to follow but the instant connection between Jane and Nicolai did not work for me and as a result I never really brought into their relationship. At times it felt like Nicolai was a brute and I could hear him say “Me Tarzan You Jane” as he beats on his chest. Then Jane who is supposed to be super smart just felt like she was not always the brightest bulb in the room. I also think the book should have been a bit longer perhaps then she could have built something more into the relationship. Plus at times it felt rushed so perhaps a few extra pages would have solved that problem as well.

All in all the book ended up just being ok mostly because I just could not get into the romance. I still plan to follow the series and I hope we can see Jane and Nicolai again.