44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Shadow Marked - Anna J. Evans Shadow Marked takes place in New York City but the world is not quite like ours is today. About twenty years ago there was an earthquake and it acted as a gateway for demons to escape from deep in the ocean. The escaped demons reek havoc on the people in New York City after dark. Do you get the feeling this is not going to go well??

On to the characters, Samantha or Sam became a victim when her parents involved her and her siblings in a demonic ritual when she was a little girl that left her blind. Jace, is her brother's best friend and he also happens to be a man that Sam has crush on since she was a teenager. Jace has his own history with the demons and is fearful of who is is deep inside always believing he is not enough. Stephen is the big brother who has always tried to care for Sam, but he has his own secrets and demons (a bit of a pun there).

So in case you cannot tell not a true fan of this book. The world building was incomplete and in the end it did not make sense to me. Throughout the story I felt like I was getting random bits of information that are supposed to clue me into the plot or make me care. Mostly it was just confusing and did not add up. Next the hot sexual relationship felt flat. I actually like the characters Sam and Jace but really a glimpse of sex here and sex there does not create this emotional bond. For me the emotional connection never came though.

Sam being blind did work for me. I liked that she wore sexy clothing and likes male attention. It was cool to read about a character who seems to draw strength on her other senses to balance out what would be seen as a disability.

The relationship with the brother, Stephen bothered me a great deal. He is pushy and wants her to do things his way to protect her. Yet it did not fit in with the guy who sacrificed everything for his sister.

To wrap this up the book had a great deal of potential, but there were too many issues for me to get into it. To give the book some credit parts of the book are quite entertaining and it is a fast read. However, by the end of the book I just did not care who did what or why. I had hoped she would tie up some loose ends at the end of the book so things would come together in an exciting conclusion, but I got more random bits of information and to me it ended up being a hot mess.

There is another book that comes out in 2011, it is unlikely I will read it. Hopefully she will clean up some of the loose ends.