44 Supporters

Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Black Wings - Christina Henry
Madeline Black, is an agent whose job it is to collect the souls of the newly dead and escort them to the 'Door' that leads to the afterlife. She lives a rather solitary life with her gargoyle Beezle. Being an agent really does not pay well so Madeline has to come up with alternate ways to make money like renting out a flat in her small building and making recipes for magazines. Madeline does find a renter Gabriel and soon after his arrival her life turns to hell in a hand basket. She quickly learns there are creatures out to attack her thanks to her heritage and she is having visions of things long since past. In the process Maddy finds she is not powerless, even though she frequently mouths off to everyone and cannot control her new powers she quickly learns to follow her instincts.

I want to say this is a fun book!I had read the preview chapter a few weeks ago and I was anxiously awaiting the release of the book. Thank goodness it did not disappoint. This was an incredibly quick read. I planned to read just a few chapters before bed and before I knew it I was playing the just one more chapter game. Christina Henry's writing style is fantastic, this story is told in the 1st person but I did not find myself getting bogged down in her head there is a nice balance of action, humor and temper tantrums. While I really liked Maddy she acted just like a person who has zero social grace nor any sense of self preservation which fits because she has lived in isolation from humans all of her life and has no understanding of the supernatural. The action scenes were great, Maddy had some really good fights even though she did not always win quite often she required assistance. I think this is what makes her more relate-able is that her pride suffers. I also love the fact the book is filled with good looking men and yet there is no love triangle. The only downside to this book is the lack of world building while I totally followed the story there are certain aspects that I wish we understood more but then again that is what book two is for.