44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Already Dead - Charlie Huston If you like the movie Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart I think you will like this book. It is a Sam Spade type of detective story where Joe is a great hero and is trying to deal with vampire politics and his own personal demons. I think Huston created an original story about vampires/zombies and these conditions come from biological viruses. This book is very macho with girls with a nice butt and tight shirt serving beer and a lot of tough guy kind of lines. For me this is a welcome break from so many wonderful female authors who just do not write this way. I will also give Huston credit for creating a complex and intriguing relationship between Joe and his girlfriend Evie.

The reason why I rated this book at 3 is because of the formatting. There are no chapters in this book...who does that?? Then Huston uses a - to let you know when someone is speaking, so at times I had to reread parts to figure out who said what and what was narration in addition there is absolutely no transition between scene changes which for me made this disorienting. In addition the incest subplot just did not work for me I just do not think it added any value to the overall story line and you know what it was gross.