44 Supporters

A Werewolf in Manhattan
Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes Do you believe that over eating causes obesity? If you do this will definitely be a great book because that really is a myth. Our bodies are much more complex than that.

Gary Taubes strives to explain how the last fifty years of nutritional science while well intentioned is misguided. He attempts to explain in plain language why some people are fat and others are thin through exercise, genetics and food. Overall I think he does a good job there are some places where he does not quite connect the dots and to be fair cellular biology is complicated and the information is tedious at best.

What I liked about this book is that he did not outright plug a diet which is great in the land of dieting books. He works hard to keep it about nutrition and how the body deals with fat. In many ways weather intentional or not he is leading people towards the palio diet. I thought he presented the information about insulin over production quite well. In short the western diet is full of carbohydrates and this is significantly higher than what our ancestors ate. Since our DNA has not yet caught up to our new way of eating our bodies get confused and we start to develop an imbalance which triggers other health issues like weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

If you are interested in learning more about the palio diet I highly suggest [b:Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life|9571633|Primal Body, Primal Mind Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life|Nora T. Gedgaudas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348116078s/9571633.jpg|14458460]

For more pictures and the what not to eat page please check out his link http://ste.vn/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Why-We-Get-Fat-Bonus.pdf