44 Supporters

Dawn's favorite books ยป

Review of American Gods

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Shadow has been in prison for a crime he committed for his wife and a few days before he is due to be released he finds out his wife is dead and so they let him go home early. But his life is turned completely upside down…an odd man Mr. Wednesday seems to know a lot about Shadow and offers him a job. The job will place Shadow smack dab in the middle of a brewing war and there is no guarantee Shadow is on the winning side.

I liked Shadow and watching him change and figure things out. He is a complex guy who has really had quite the crappy life and forwhatere reason he never seems to fight for something better instead he accepts the hand he is given. In many ways he has been a pawn yet he struggles to be decent. Once he finds himself he proves he is so much more.

As for the gods we have the all Anubis, Horus, Kali, Anansi, etc these are out good guys if you will plus we meet some new ones television, technology the media, etc and these are our villains it works because the new gods want things quickly and without much effort making them a bit selfish. This is not to say the old guys are sweet and cuddly they too are monstrous without sentiment. The clash of the two is what makes for the interesting tale..what do we leave behind…what do we gain in the name of progress? Then there is the bigger question of what happens when a god is forgotten? Or even worse when people still believe but no longer have the time to worship them?

The ideas are not necessarily new but they execution of the story is what makes it interesting. I liked the characterization and I like the view of America that is not quite us but it is us if that makes sense.

The story kind of weaves in a way that I found annoying and while I am sure many people liked how he diverted from the main story with a side story to explain the depth of the tale – I personally did not care for that. Then the ending was not well it really dragged in my opinion so I am docking it a half star. Overall still awesome and I would highly recommend it on audio the voices are just fantastic!!