44 Supporters

Last Kiss Goodnight
The Chief

Dawn's favorite books ยป

Review for Success Through Stillness

Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple - 'Russell Simmons',  'Chris Morrow'

Success Through Stillness by Russell Simmons is basically a book about meditation. He takes you through five parts: 1.) Why Meditate; 2.) Why you think you cannot meditate; 3.) The physical benefits of meditation; 4.) Living up to your potential; and 5.) How to meditate. He also tries to show a connection between ‘worldly successful’ people and inner peace.

I think most people know that Russell Simmons has changed his life and is now all about yoga, meditation and promoting veganism (if that is a word). As such he wrote a book to help people find their way to mediation and I think it is great. There are a lot of people who may not know anything about mediation or where to start and this book could be a guide. Not to mention he could also be a game changer for those in the rap industry.

Personally for me it was a bit of a letdown, in fairness I have read a few books on meditation and yoga so it may not come as a surprise that it felt like a lot of what people already know. I think the biggest let down was the how to meditate part. His advice was to sit for 20 minutes and internally chant Rum. This is not bad but it kind of missed a lot. Now I am no expert but it sounds like he is talking about the ‘Bija Mantra” which is actually rather interesting part of the Vedic tradition anyway these are tools used for expansion of the mind through the power of sound vibrations. In other words you create transformation though sound. Rum is one of the sounds and it is used on the third chakra which represents the ability to control your life. But what if your issue is about feeling secure or your ability to speak your truth? You would use a different sound and for the life of me I cannot understand why you would do this mentally. Eventually silence comes but initially it is the sound that quiets the mind. Also I wanted him to talk about success differently, money does not equate to success and I was looking for examples of that.

Getting off the soap box I did listen to this book on audio narrated By Herbert Point-Du-Jour. He was fantastic. I am sure if I had read the book I would have rolled my eyes but listening to it on my ipod allowed my mind to consider how this book would be useful for someone else. His voice is quite soothing and he reads at a great speed.

Final thought if you are already into meditation skip this book or borrow if from the library. If you are interested in mediation and have no idea why or where to start this is a good intro but then check out youtube or a meditation teacher and figure out what will work for you.

*The audiobook was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*